Wednesday, November 11, 2009

insufficient gratitude


I was 17 years old sitting on the edge of my bed when I witnessed war for the first time. It was the opening air strike in the Gulf War. I was shocked. I was amazed. I was terrified. My country was at war. I see it as one of those things as if you aren't directly involved you can't fully grasp the magnitude. Both of my grandfathers were war vets and I have listened over the years to their limited story telling doing my best to imagine what it was really like.

I remember the excitement of leaving home. Sure I'll miss everyone but I'm off to college. The world was mine for the taking. But not even for one second do I try to make the comparison of going off to college to the likes of going off to war. Unless some freak tragic accident I could come home whenever I got ready. Unlike the many who have served our country who were never guaranteed any return home... ever. I can only imagine the emotion of leaving home for potentially the final time. I can not imagine losing friends, forever.

There are several things that I have always envied of men who have served in the military. I have a limited understanding of honor for one. But to serve my country... no that's a flood of honor. I have always appreciated the sense of discipline our veterans seem to have. I have often wondered what kind of man I would be today had I served in the military. Those who have served walk differently. They have a swagger like none other. And talk about loyalty... they understand it.

As I reflect on this Veteran's Day I realize once again that I have a limited capacity to appreciate the numerous sacrifices made by men, women and families all across America. My best gratitude will always remain insufficient. To our Veteran's... hats off to you.

No comments: