Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Evidence of Things Not Seen...


All of my life (at least the parts I actually remember) I have heard people say that "we live by faith and not by sight" but what does that actually mean?  I mean I understand that my faith & hope in God is something that I just believe in and depend on even when I can't see Him... but really what is faith?  Blind trust?  My optimistic view of my little life in this BIG world?  Maybe it is jumping without knowing what's below... or even needing to know.  Why is it that we use the word FAITH when we describe our overall experience as a believer... for example; "My faith is very important to me."--- I actually said that to someone today and just began to wonder why I used it that particular way.

Here's a good definition... "The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living." (Hebrews 11:1, The Message).

And how do faith and reality live together?  I believe I have a complete kind of faith.  I mean I completely believe that God is who He said He is, He will completely do what He said He would do, and that He completely loves and adores me... even with all of my junk.

But what happens when my faith gets a little crazy?  Like I believe He's gonna come through for me when I just can't imagine how?  I know Him well enough to consider Him more than faithful... but sometimes things look very bleak.  

Maybe I'm not the only one who views the Almighty with this irrational perspective (in fact I know I'm not alone on this one).  I guess faith sometimes goes directly against my better, human-judgement.  Maybe faith even goes against what everything inside me says are the facts.  Maybe... just maybe that's what makes it faith... the firm foundation underneath everything.

William P. Young says in The Shack... "There are times when you choose to believe something that would normally be considered absolutely irrational.  It doesn't mean that it is actually irrational, but it surely is not rational.  Perhaps there is suprarationality: reason beyond the normal definitions of fact or data-based logic; something that only makes sense if you can see a bigger picture of reality.  Maybe that is where faith fits in."

Here's what I know.  I trust Him.  He's never left me before and I don't see Him leaving me now.  He didn't bring me this far to leave me.  

And here's the best part... He isn't going to leave you either.  Trust Him.

No comments: