Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July @ Homewood


Wow! Another exciting night of fireworks... but tonight turned out quite different. This is about the tenth or eleventh year that my family has gathered to watch the fireworks in Homewood. There for a few years we were forced to alter our plans while the good old Vulcan was receiving a little nip & tuck. Anyway, we do it every year we can in the same place... right in the middle of the street in the curve in Homewood.

This year we were all there except for my brother Joel who has just moved to San Francisco and will be watching the fireworks from the Golden Gate Bridge I imagine. As we piled out of the caravan into the land of Patriots we made our way to the all familiar spot just above the ice cream man. Only this year, I barely got my stuff in place (chairs & cooler) before literally being mobbed by some of my students from Metro. There was Jessica, Mia, Caleb, Jacob & Jaida & Jim, Katelyn & Caroline, Nick, Scout, Logan, Aaron, Lucas, Hannah (x2), Emily & Elizabeth, the Potter trio, and others that I have surely forgotten unintentionally. It was awesome to see every one of them. It makes me swell with pride to see them maturing in their faith and in their ability to just not be so dang goofy.

Anyway, as the night progressed my stomach began to hurt almost unbearably. I cooked pizza quesadia's for the girls today and had two myself... coupled with way too much BBQ for dinner and I was brewing a small un-natural disaster. Literally just as the fireworks began I took off in a dead sprint for the closest bathroom I could find. Every store in downtown H'wood was closed right on the dot at 9 o'clock. Finally I ran into my friend Darrell who was outside Starbucks and I begged him to shoot me in the head, heart, or lower abdomen... any way I could get some relief would be perfectly acceptable at that moment. And wouldn't you know it, Starbucks was flipping closed. I grabbed the door with all my might only to be gravely disappointed that the door fought back. In the distance I could hear the bang of the fireworks that I was missing because of the fireworks in my belly. Finally someone opened the door to come out and like a sly lizard... I slithered my way in, past the counter, and down the hall where I met temporary paradise in the men's room.

So, without the details... let's just say that I will not forget this 4th of July... I did however miss almost the entire fireworks show. Good thing we went Wednesday night. I do want to take a moment to say thank you to all of the men and women around the globe that make sure day in day out that I remain a free American. And to all of those who came before me so that I might benefit from their sacrifice... Thanks and God Bless America!

5 comments:

The Nichols said...

I wished we would have been able to go, but not the greatest idea of a one year old. She pooped about 7. Oh well, glad ya'll had fun. We miss you greatly.

The Nichols said...

That would be pooped out. lol

Brandon said...

What is up, Micah?!?!?!
Man, things have been going really well...
I just got back today from 2 weeks in China...
I leave in 2 more days to fly back to the States for about a month...
Well, I am, in fact, going to come back and do another school year...
I really like it here...
I hope things are going well for you...
I would really love to see you - I mean that!
I hope everything is going well...
You are incredible!
B

Amy Elizabeth Robinson said...

I laughed at this post. Tony was laughin' that night when you were walkin' back from the bathroom and he told me you had tummy troubles. Funny.

I still haven't uploaded the pics of the kids from my camera. I'll get them to yall when I do that.

It was great to see yall. We miss your fam.

renee9268 said...

LOL!!! I can SO relate to this story...story of my life!! In fact, that is one of the reasons we didn't come that night.

On a different note....have you heard about this past Sunday's services at Metro? You would have been SO proud of these kids. They had been praying for about 30 minutes for our service, then, when it started, many of them were up front worshipping and putting many of us to shame. Then, Sunday night with Eddie James....WOW!!! I believe that 4 were spirit-filled (possibly more) and some were delivered from some things. So cool to see what God is doing.

I'm glad y'all are doing well (except for, well...) and we miss you guys! Love y'all.