Wednesday, July 2, 2008

4th of July @ Highlands


Wow! Tonight me and Karie and the girls witnessed one of the best fireworks shows we've ever seen... and it was at church. It was not revival or campmeeting or a good old pentecostal free for all but it was an actual fireworks show. Church of the Highlands went all out to provide an incredible show coupled with free food - hotdogs, popcorn, ice cream and cotton candy(rumored to have been 4,000 hotdogs... which were gone in no time).

We sat on the interstate in traffic and down the main entrance for almost 55 minutes, we missed the entire service because of traffic and if I had to guess I'd say more than 5,000 people were there.

It just fired me up that all of this first class family entertainment happened at church. I have at many times in my life stated that church wasn't the place for entertaining but let me just say that after a full-blown service all of this took place on the lawn. I really don't care what church hosted such an event but the simple fact that any church could have such an evening amazes me. Literally it caused a major traffic jam on the interstate! I wonder how many churches had that kind of problem on a Wednesday night?

Yea God.

3 comments:

Bethany Edgeworth said...

We were there too! I can't believe we didn't see you guys...It was a great show! See you all soon.

Unknown said...

Well one time at my church, the youth group brought all of our rock albums and we burned them in a barrel. It was on a Wednesday night. And when I got home, I was like....What in the world did I just do?

Shannon Johnson said...

Max was there too! He went with our neighbors and had a blast. That's cool and you are right - its a way cool thing when a church does something that cool. I remember when we were at Hunterstreet a V long time ago..before we came to Metro. Buddy had a vision for us to rent out the Hoover Met and have church there so we could all sit together. When church started...he got up there and questioned why we could yell and play during a Barons game...but sat camly during our praise portion of the service. He told everyone to get up and yell...let's not save all the good stuff for the world! To echo you...yea God!

The boys LOVED seeing you last week! Nick's driving these days as you know.... where has the time gone?