Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Bucket List


Alright, I know I'm a bit behind on my movies but I just got to watch this one over the weekend. The girls were with my sister and Karie and I spent the entire day on Saturday doing absolutely nothing... except rent this winner of a flick for $1.08 from Bruno's. I have known since this movie first came out what the premise was... a list of things you want to do before you kick the bucket.

I had even begun a simple list that included trivial things like watching the Red Sox play in Boston and a few more non-eternal likes that I'd really enjoy before my time is up. But there was a theme within this movie that messed with me. It served as a great reminder to a fact that I know well but often mis-prioritize in the good old day to day.

One of the characters made a statement that went something like this... "It's not the what but the who..." Without sounding like a great line of philosophy from the dear Dr. Suess... I was reminded that it is not nearly as significant of what we do as who we do it with. My list is currently under revision because I had a brief list of things I'd like to do, places I'd like to visit and even a little bit of crazy stuff as well. The truth is... I now have a list of people that I'd like to spend more time with. It really doesn't matter what we do as long as I get to talk and listen.

It's all about the WHO!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Does this mean you are finally gonna go to lunch with me?

renee9268 said...

We finally saw it this past weekend and it was really good. It wasn't quite what I was expecting -- I thought it would be funny.