Friday, October 10, 2008

I was born in a small town...


From the lyrics of John Cougar Mellencamp, Johnny Cougar or John Mellencamp... whichever flavor you prefer... he wrote a song a while back with the words, "I was born in a small town" and today I was reminded of just how special living in a small town really is. Not that I actually live in a small town but I work in a small town. Bessemer Alabama. Home of great food and the Purple Tigers of Jess Lanier High School.

As I sat in my office today I heard the drums of what sounded like a high school marching band. I lept from my desk to open me shutters and lo and behold... it was a dang parade! Sure nuff. I haven't seen a high school Homecoming parade in years. In fact I thought the Springville Tigers (home of Karie, Olivia, and Ella Andrews)were the only one's who still had Homecoming parades. Anyway, I may be just out of the 'high school homecoming day parade loop'.

All of that to say this... I walked outside and sat for about 15 minutes and watched new cars from the local car lot serve as a carriage for the queen and her court only to be followed by band after band after band. I actually watched people sitting through the sunroof of finely displayed automobiles as they threw candy to all of the kids lined up and down the street. Imagine this... a 98 Oldsmobile with chrome trim and 22's. Who knew the Olds was making a comeback?
Anyway, I sat and thought about the state of our market/economy/401K's/housing market and for just about 15 minutes none of that even mattered. As I sat there I remembered that I work in a great small town, I live in a great city and state, and even better I am a citizen of the greatest nation on the planet. Who's going to win the election you ask? Who cares, it's America. Where will we get the 700 billion dollars for the bailout? Who cares, this is the Home of the Free. OK, maybe those last two things are a little overboard but hopefully you feel me here.

When you take a minute to slow down, pause the hustle of your life, and for a moment let YOU be SIMPLE... see if you hear the band coming down the street. It's Homecoming.

No comments: