Friday, October 17, 2008

Sunday Perspective...


After a long week of ups, downs, surprises, disappointments, frustrations and the like... nothing does the mind and soul any better than a dose of Jesus" to launch into the new week. I feel that many may recharge or redirect their short term perspective on Sunday's as they enter the house of worship of their choice. Here's what I mean... it doesn't take an individual long at all to become self seeking and become completely consumed by selfish desires. In fact, our world tells us daily that we deserve lots of things. It's our choice. Do something for yourself today. You know, that distorted message we get bombarded with constantly. Well, if you hear it enough you may just buy into it. And then Sunday rolls around and we come back to our senses that the Word says, that if we want to gain the world we have to lose our self. We remember that real life is not all about ME. Sunday perspective. It's sort of like an attitude adjustment.

Well, as I drove to work this week I was listening to U2 and Sunday Bloody Sunday came on and I recharged my global perspective. How quickly can my little piece of the world become the only piece of the world? Really... for the most part many of us see things from just from our own view. We think that our brand of Christianity is the real version. Or our deep south Jesus is the most authentic. Our sports are the best. That means that we really believe that no other conference is as tough as the SEC. But what about Ireland? What about Africa? What about China? What about South America? Do they miss it? I'm not saying that I want to move or anything because my perspective tells me that America is definitely the greatest place on the globe. But don't you think that there may be someone in another country that feels the same way about their nation?

Most importantly... what about God? Ever wonder how He sees it all? I wonder if He holds us accountable ultimately based on the undeniable Truth but also with a splash of our culture. Don't misread this that Truth is culturally relevant but I mean about how we worship, how we pray, how we treat our neighbors, how we treat the piece of land beneath our feet. Are there variables built in to this whole thing? Truth is Truth and is not up for debate but I really wonder if He is much more flexible than we (I) often think? Sunday Bloody Sunday just reminds me that my perspective is not the only, the best, the most sanctified, or the most important.

His is.

1 comment:

Pastor Todd said...

Good job!Be blessed and we will get together after the first of the year.