Tuesday, May 19, 2009

the small things.


disclaimer: the examples and statistics are not original to the author and are purely second hand at best. to verify... google.

I heard recently that in 1999 Ellen Degeneres participated in the first lesbian kiss on television. I remember the hype that preceded this event as well as the controversy that followed. I also heard that as a result of this "original kiss" that more than 20 prime time sitcoms directly involving homosexual relationships have aired.

Have you ever noticed that once you tell a small lie or as I like to call them... a fib... that it becomes easier to tell more mistruths? It is almost as if the first stretching of the truth is a gateway drug to many more. I have heard that for most professional criminals, their first crime was somewhat minor. It appears to me that there is a pattern.

That first breaking of the ice by Ellen opened the door for the subject of homosexuality to be displayed for the whole world. It was simple. A kiss. Not that I am condoning the show, the person, or the act but the point I am making is that the door was opened. Once the door is cracked open, the floodgates swing not too far behind. I have also heard that this is similar to the act of sin. Open the door and watch out! It reminds me of a virus. I tiny micro-element spreads throughout the body and quickly takes over and dictates the way we feel, the way we perform, the way we recover.

It's the small things that we need to guard against. Once the small pieces enter in... that's when the initial problems are born. In Psalms we are reminded to guard our heart because it is the wellspring of life. Looking out for the big things is a no-brainer. The area that I hear we need to guard against the most is the small stuff. We are told to not sweat the small stuff but I say... watch out for the small stuff because that is how the door gets opened. I'm just saying...

No comments: