Sunday, August 30, 2009

alignment for assignment


A friend of mine shared a story with me a few weeks ago that I did not remember. This friend is beginning his fourth month of recovery and is living clean. He told me a story that took place about 15 years ago which I did not recall until he shared it with me. You see, he and I were at a party with other mutual friends when "the passing of the joint" took place. These were good guys, hanging out, not hurting anyone really... and as we sat around the joint came to me. Now I have had my share of "experimenting" but drugs never really appealed to me. I simply said, "No thanks, I'm good." I assume I didn't think anything else about it. But my friend obviously did. Just a few weeks ago he reminded me of that night. He said that memory of me had stuck with him over the years. I didn't make a big deal about it but simply passed.

Fast forward 15 years, I work in a drug recovery program and my friend is a resident in this particular program. Who knew that one day our paths would cross in this environment? In fact, 15 years ago I could not even imagined myself working in such a place. This past Sunday I listened as Pastor Larry Stockstill from Louisiana spoke about God's alignment for our assignment. He spoke of how so many things in our lives are simply aligning us for what God's ultimate will is for our lives. Maybe you have wondered like I have... why certain things happen to us in the way that they do. Maybe it is because somewhere down the line, He will use us in certain ways to help certain people simply because "we've been there". I know there have been trials in my own life and I have wondered, why in the world I am dealing with this. My own answer has been, well maybe God is allowing me to deal with this to minister to someone down the road. I don't know if that is going to be the case but it somehow gives me peace and meaning to the mess I often deal with.

I have to believe that the tests we all face are a part of the aligning process. Some of us have to be stressed and pulled to show our imperfections. Some are tested and tried to allow us to see where we need the most work. It is a character issue. I believe that God uses His all-knowing sense to direct us toward His perfect alignment. Once we find that alignment or as I call it, that divine "Sweet Spot" then we are able to achieve our assignment.

Don't grow weary if you are being tried. These tests breed perseverance and that leads to maturity and character. James chapter 1 says it this way... "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." At the time I had no idea that passing up a chance to get high would come back to be a badge of honor. Am I thankful that I passed? You betcha! My prayer: make me ever aware of Your alignment in my life.

No comments: