Friday, August 28, 2009

sound investments in a troubled economy


What a year for the market. Many reports show that for the first time in decades our great land faces Depression-like levels of unemployment. When the bottom started to fall so many lost thousands and ten's of thousands and I only lost hundreds. I guess if you don't have much invested you really don't have much to lose. The problem with this is... you don't have much invested. I realize when I chose a career in the non-profit world that this term was literal. It is non-profit. The only ones making a killing in the non-profit world seem to turn out to be a little crooked. But don't cry for me, I chose this path. I made a conscious decision to follow in the footsteps of my father. I do find it neat that the last sentence applies to both my earthly father and my Heavenly Father.

I have close friends that financially are doing very well for themselves. I will admit that when I see them in their new car, new boats and having lots of big boy toys... I wonder why I can't afford stuff like that? Just this week I was reminded of why. Some choose to invest their money, time and talent in areas that reap them a sweet harvest. There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with this, just for the record. They make wise decisions and it pays nice dividends for them. I on the other hand (and many like me) have chosen to invest money, time and talent in other ways. DISCLAIMER: This is not a self indulgent thought or statement that is set to paint a picture of poor little old me, nor is it intended to make me appear as a financial martyr, greater in any sense or the appearance that I have it all figured out. The truth is, if I had lots of money I would probably be just as broke... I like to spend.

I have simply chosen to make my investments elsewhere. I have also made some very wise investment choices. I can think of a list of young people and even peers that I have purposefully invested my own life in. I give them my time, I give them my heart, I give them my soul. After all, that is all I have. Regardless of how the market is doing and regardless of the value of the almighty dollar... the most sound investment you can make in a troubled economy is when you invest you in someone else. Luke 12:34 says, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." I think we can flip that verse and make the same kind of sense. "For where your heart is, there your treasure will be also."

I challenge me and you... make wise investments. Invest in your marriage. Invest in your children. Invest in your walk with God. Invest in those around you. The payoff is eternal.

No comments: