Friday, February 1, 2008

Thinking Green?

Nope, not talking about money but rather the environment. I love Colorado as much as anybody but I'm not 'going granola' nor can I be deemed a 'tree hugger' but I am a little more enlightened by the media of today as it pertains to the ecosystem that I am a member of. My biggest questions is "Who do you believe?" I mean Gore has me scared to drive an SUV and the other side makes me feel like if I just simply do nothing that'll be fine... we'll let the next group worry about the mess that we've left them.

I was recently reading about the next 25 years on earth. I was a little freaked out to realize that teleportation is much more a reality than just a mode of travel on Star Trek. In fact, in some crazy, remote scientific lab with some wild-eyed nerdy types... our world's brightest are already "transporting light" from one place to another. Imagine five to ten years from now how this will affect FedEx... You simply order an item from Ebay and within moments it magically appears on your desk. Or what about your family beach vacation. The thing I dread most about family vacations is the drive home... but that dreaded journey back to my day to day reality could become instantaneous. No more 280 traffic and who needs an elevated highway when you don't even need a highway? Who knows if this will ever be but it does make you think a little about what the next 25 years will be like.

Back to the environment... if the entire world is changing (and whether you like it, acknowledge it, or are even a part of it... it still is happening) what will happen to our beloved ozone layer and what about the weather and what about global climates and all of that stuff? I mean who wants NYC to become glacier-like other than on the big screens of Hollywood? I mean think about how difficult in Alabama it already is to actually determine the seasonal changes. I know the weather guys say it is winter but who can tell? So, if CO2 emissions are an issue, please somebody in layman terms let me know everything that I own and/or use that creates such emissions so I can "cut back". I want to breath clean air as long as I can. I like drinking water and swimming, and washing dishes, and bathing so I want my world's water supply to last a little longer. And even though I enjoy the heat of summer... I really don't want 95 degree temps and 100% humidity year round.

Anyway, until I know what to believe and who to listen to I guess I'll just turn my regular old standard light bulbs off whenever I walk out of the room and I'll continue to use that little grey trash can thingy to recycle my paper and plastics. Maybe somehow that will help the emissions which directly affect the temperature which directly affect the ozone and weather patterns which affect the hurricanes which affect everything else and maybe it all never stops... who knows.

Until I have more answers/suggestions... I'm going to go with a lighter shade of green.

Side Note: If you want to think about issues that you can not fix, influence, or solve... do as I have been doing recently and read Glenn Beck's newest book... "An Inconvenient Book".

1 comment:

Phil & Evie said...

Happy Birthday, Karie.
I love you.
Evie