Friday, May 9, 2008

Delayed Action


You may remember the book by Bruce Wilkinson that hit the list in 2000 titled, "The Prayer of Jabez"... it ran in the similar current of the WWJD bracelets of previous years. It was the craze and every Christian seemed to catch on to the fact that there was even a book in the Bible called 1 Chronicles. To me, this short read brought a great re-awakening to the beauty contained in the Old Testament.

There was one piece of this prayer that I remember praying vividly... (as I too got caught in the craze of Jabez) "Oh that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory..."

I remember praying that portion of the prayer and personally implying financial enlargement. Maybe I wasn't the only one with this little hidden agenda.

But I believe that I prayed that prayer with a sincere heart, ultimately with the purest of motives, and really asked God to expand me and the places I would go. I realized today that this may be happening right before my eyes. You see, I spent the last twelve years of my life making my own little circle as dynamic as I possibly could. My circle basically consisted of people in my church. Once I took a step to venture outside that circle my territory has been enlarged. Not necessarily financially but in the first three months of my "new adventure" I have met more people than ever before. I actually said today, "I have met more people in the last eight days than I have in the last eight years."

People are awesome. People are interesting. People are full of stories. People are real. There are actually people outside my previous circle that love God as much as those from inside my circle. In an attempt all of my adult life to not live in a sheltered little bubble... I actually lived in a sheltered little bubble. My territory is expanding.

I wonder if He was just waiting on me and I actually caused a delay in the action to the prayer that I prayed more than eight years ago? To be completely honest... who cares? All I know is this piece of the ride is amazing.

Do yourself a favor... meet someone new.

No comments: