Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Would the Real God Please Stand Up?

Lately I have begun to notice that there are a lot of differing opinions as to who God is. It reminds me of the old TV show that used to ask at the end of the show "Would the real (God) please stand up?" I know that everybody has their own way of looking at God. Each of us got our image of God from some place - our parents, our preacher, from Sunday school, from a magazine, from our own imagination. I see a great divide in the world over what God is really like, primarily into two sides, and they are very different. It makes me wonder what the real God might look like, because if I were to talk to 5 different people, I think I would get 6 different responses to the question of who God is.

The two versions that seem to best categorize the images we have of God are divided on one basic premise: either God is love, and thinks you are the best thing since sliced bread, way worthy of sending His son for, or He is a God that demonstrates His love by looking past your repulsiveness and forgives you, despite your hideous sin, but can't stand the sight of you without looking through Jesus. It boils down to this: one version of God sees us as basically good, the other as basically bad.

It seems an important question to answer - how does God see you? It seems pretty foundational to not only how we see God, but how we relate to Him, to the world, and to life. The picture we have in our heads affects everything about how we 'are' in the world. If God is wrathful, punishing, and angry, we react to that image accordingly. If we see Him as loving, patient, or graceful, we will respond to that image. What we think about God makes or breaks how we relate or don't relate to Him.

Ask yourself for a moment this question; "What is my God like?"

There is probably an answer that comes into your head. You list a bunch of qualities about what you think God is like. Now let me ask a second question; "When life goes really bad, what do you believe about God?" If you are really honest, there might be another picture behind that answer. I find that in my past, 'God' changes quite a bit based on what is going on in my life. When things were great, I saw Him as giving, loving, enduring, patient. When life fell flat on its face, suddenly I wondered if God was distant, angry, disapproving, disappointed. When life was too busy and I felt lost, God was frustrated, waiting for me to get my act together, and a little displeased with me.

In the last year I have had a huge rethink on my image of God, and I have been challenged with the thought "God loves me". I have always believed He loves me, but there has always been a caveat in the sentence. He loves me if I am doing all the religious activities. He loves me if I behave well. He loves me if I am serving Him. But if I am really honest deep down inside, there is always a 'but' in there. My 'but' says that He loves me, but there is something I could do to screw that up. My 'but' says that there must be a limit somewhere - that I could do such and such to make His love stop. Like I am that powerful!

I am finding it really hard to just be with 'God loves me', and that God is really love. So right now that is my spiritual act of worship. I have sorta committed to not move on to anything else until I can fully take that in. No luck so far. It is too overwhelming, and it disrupts too many years of works theology. It leaves me powerless before Him. And I don't like that feeling.

Thoughts by Mike Ege.

Life coaches Mike and Laura Ege challenge people who are tired of shallow, ineffective faith to go beyond the brink of what they've always known and ignite a spiritual journey full of adventure, purpose, and freedom. To learn more about living a spiritual edge-venture and sign up for a FREE email series, '7 Radical Freedoms', visit their site at http://www.OutsideEdgeCoaching.com.

3 comments:

BenJAMIN said...

Micah, I can be a bit of a dense guy sometimes, so you'll have to forgive me if this is a stupid question. I just got done reading this post, and i was just a little bit confused on where you finally settled on who God is. At the beginning you kind of divided people's images of God into two camps, and i couldn't figure out if you sided with one or created a new camp. You said at the end that God loves you no matter what and you are currently wrestling with that. But are we basically good or bad or in between or...yeah...i guess you see what im asking. How does God look at us? What is His nature, in your opinion? I'm sure I'm just missing it. Forgive my denseness.

Brandon said...

Micah...
The questions you pose always spur me on to think deeper about my faith (which is completely and totally the way things should be)
Anyways...
Thanks for the comment...
Sometimes, I must admit, rather than putting more work into searching for God when it is tougher to, say, go to church, like you suggested, I have just simply not put forth the effort and fallen into the big, ugly monster we call complacency...
I am trying to eliminate that nasty habit from my spiritual life - one that will certainly haunt me as long as I am living...
Speaking of your new job - Congratulations - if you do half as good a job pouring into people's lives at the Foundry as you did when I was under you, you will be simply incredible...
I love you, man, and I pray that God continues to strengthen us through the power of God's Spirit in our inner beings and, this is the kicker, that we, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that we may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19, MSG)

BenJAMIN said...

haha...ok i see what you mean...I told you I was dense! I hope your day goes well! It is always encouraging to see what you have to say!