Thursday, December 11, 2008

I Wonder?


I met a 71 year old lady earlier this week at the store down from my house. As we began to talk she shared stories about when she was in high school. She told me she was divorced and I couldn't help but wonder...

I met a retired college professor and school teacher this past week as well. She is an African American who has spent the second half of her life living in Birmingham. She was extremely inteligent and had more southern charm than Scarlet O'Hara ever dreamed of. As I listened to her talk I coldn't help but wonder...

I met about a dozen young men at a local urban high school this week. They are a part of a group called Young Men of Distinction. They are learning manners, etiquete, and very impressive life skills. As I talked with them I couldn't help but wonder...

With a mild, self-diagnosed, case of adlt on-set ADD I find myself wondering quite a bit. I wonder when was the last time I filled my tank for $1.52 per gallon (other than today). I wonder if I am doing it right when it comes to raising my daughters. I wonder when Christ is going to return. I wonder how my country is going to rebound and when from our troubled economy. I wonder what suprise my mom has in store for me this Christmas. I wonder about old high school friends. Wonder, wonder, wonder.

I wonder if my new 71 year old friend lives with regret? If she could change one thing from her past what would it be? I wonder about the retired educator. What emotional scars does she carry from living in Bham during the heat of the Civil Rights Movement? What has she seen in life that haunts her and how does she deal with it all? I wonder about the young men who impressed me as they shared their ambitions and dreams of the future. I wonder what they will be doing ten years from now? I wonder what I'll be doing ten years from now.

I also wonder about a song we used to sing... God of Wonders. I cherish the fleeting thoughts that I have every once in a while about God when for an instant I get it. I catch a glimpse of what He may be up to in my life. I adore the times when I am sitting still and my mind drifts toward God and I am at pure peace in that moment. I wonder what He thinks about me? I wonder what He thinks about what I think about... after all, He is the God of Wonders.

No comments: