Friday, January 16, 2009

Goals, Goals everywhere Goals


First things first. How many words can you make from the word GOALS: slag, logs, go, as, Al, gas, sag, Sal, so, gal and maybe several others. I don't know about your world but in mine, the beginning of each new year always comes with someone telling me I should set some goals and they want to see them. I've been setting annual goals for more than a decade now and they seem to always be extremely similar.

Goals at work. Goals with my family. Personal goals. Goals at church. Personal spiritual goals. Financial goals. Physical fitness goals (Brian Burns... where are you when I need you most?). Goals, goals everywhere goals. If my beloved Crimson Tide could have scored that many goals against tebow maybe we could have won!

You get the idea. We launch out into each new year with a fresh set of goals and the zeal to conquer them all. As the first month rolls on maybe our goals are already in need of revision (that's a cool word by the way: Re and Vision - get my vision again). For me, I am one of those guys who simply needs to first of all know what the bottom line is in order to set the best goals.

for example: If I need to eliminate $1000 of debt this year... that's the bottom line and I can see it and set appropriate goals accordingly. If I set a goal to 'get closer to God' this year... that's the bottom line and I know I need to schedule a set reading and prayer time. But this year as I thought through this goal thing I have just stepped back and tried to get the BIG picture view and to reassess as well as determine my overall bottom line. As complicated as I may attempt to make it... it really is simple.

My ultimate bottom line, my ultimate goal in life is this. To live in such a way that I will one day stand before my Creator and hear Him say... "Well done son. Come join me forever."

No comments: