Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Under the Influence

Men have always influenced one another. Jesus influenced the disciples. Fathers influence sons. Leaders influence followers. Uncle Jesse influenced Bo and Luke. Influence is one of the factors that is at the root of human nature. It happens. Often for the good and some times for the bad. We can probably all think of a few bad influences... at least according to our mother's perspective. Who knows, maybe I am the bad influence that other kids moms warned them about.

Regardless of who, where, when, or even how we have all been influenced by someone. As I thought about the magnitude of influence I began to reflect back on my own personal top 10 list of men who at different phases of my life have had a significant impact and influence. This is not a comprehensive list and there is really no real order to it except for the last one I'll list. I will save the best for last...

10. Perry Haymon - When I was in junior high school Perry was attending our church and he was then a college student at UA. He was the most brilliant man I had ever known at the time. He was an engineer and he helped me develop a science project that actually competed in the state science fair finals (I didn't win). But Perry was a teacher. He allowed me to think for myself. He taught me the concept of discovery. He wouldn't tell me the answers but rather showed me how to figure them out for myself. I probably owe my "take it apart and put it back together" mentality to him. A great man.

9. Jonathan Barnett - Now Dr. Barnett, and for a brief time my dentist. I was a junior in high school and he was a junior at UA and also attended my church. Jonathan was also a brilliant thinker. He allowed me to learn a few life lessons the hard way. I would say that Jonathan had an influence on my life by showing me how to live as a Godly young man. No matter what the pressures were on him, he stuck to his faith and his decisions followed. A great man.

8. Kevin Kelley - One of my best friends in this entire world. We often joke that we had to be brothers from seperate mothers. Even in recent years we realized ways that we were more alike than we ever knew. He was my mentor. We traveled the world together and he taught me everything I knew/know about being a youth pastor. I learned from him how to be tough and how to be gentle. I learned from him how to take advantage of every moment in life. Every day hold countless numbers of teachable moments if we are only looking for them. I owe him more than I'll ever be able to repay. A great man.

7. Sonny Howell/Luke Morgan - This spot gets a tie. These two guys were friends in college. I was trying to experiment and find my way and they were solid as rocks. I was desperately looking for my identity and they gave me a simple push in the right direction. They may neither know it but they had a huge impact on my life. Two great men.

6. Raymond Culpepper - I spent 8 years of my life following and hanging on every word he spoke. He gave me the freedom to spread my wings and fly in ministry. There are so many one-liners that have stuck with me over the years that came from him. I watched how he carried himself as a professional and that stuck with me as well. Quotes: "What's more important is not how many people we bring in but rather how many people we send out." "We have accomplished nothing if after 20 years here we are just a flash in the pan." A great man.

5. Barry Copeland - In recent years Barry worked with me so much on public speaking skills. Every once in a while I would say something in a public setting and afterwards Barry would come and coach me a little. He has always been so encouraging and he never failed to leave me lifted. He also has shown me so many things about the market place and little pieces here and there about being a successful professional. A great man.

4. Bill McKenzie - He is my doctor which may be a little odd since he is an OB/GYN. But not only does he keep me healthy, he is a true friend. I have watched him as a father and husband and I know that he is someone I want to be like. I don't want to be him but rather I want to lead and live in the same kind of way he does. He loves his kids and they love him. He is an amazing example of a Godly father. A great man.

3. Chris Goins - One of the most profound relationships in my adult life... he gave me a chance to develop as a teacher. He pushed me to always be better and do my best everyday. He has been a great example for me in every aspect. He taught me how to think creatively. He taught me how to communicate creatively. A great man.

2. Roy McSwain - Otherwise known as Paw Paw. He just turned 87 a few days ago. I have seen him in some tough places with his health but he is a real example of a fighter. He's not mean or angry or even all that big but he has outlived two wives and a girlfriend. He fights hard. maybe it has something to do with serving in WWII. Everytime I am around him I am challenged to be better. When I see him I just want to be a fighter. A man who fights for what he knows is right and what matters. A great man.

1. Ken Andrews - The greatest man I know. I love his idiosynchrisies. I love the way he sits, stands, walks... there are patterns to them all. He has taught me how to love children. he has taught me how to love a wife. He has taught me how to get back up when you get knocked down. But more than any of that he has taught me how to love other people and to be a servant. These are two of the values that I hang my hat on. I strive to be that kind of man everyday. All of that was modeled to me by my hero... the greatest influencer of them all... my dad. A great man.

So what does your list look like?

No comments: