Monday, January 5, 2009

2009



Inspired recently by a message that I heard at my church I looked up the lyrics to the tune that so many will cheer at the stroke of midnight each New Years Eve. If you've never read the words I encourage you to look them up... it is a journey in and of itself. From what I gather personally coupled with the "interpretation" from my pastor I see that we sing of the thoughts of days gone by. Most noticeably the days that have just passed by... like this past year.

I am sure so many have turned contemplative in the past week or so and may have even resolved to make some changes in this fleeting year and I would for that reason like to pass on my thoughts on someone else's words. Here's some good medicine:

From this past year... celebrate the victories. Maybe too often when something good happens to us or maybe even when we accomplish something great maybe, just maybe... we rapidly move on to the next dilemma without properly celebrating the victories. At work? When you get it right do you truly celebrate. Not to be confused with gloating or pride but I mean genuine celebration. At home with your children? When the good grades arrive or the picture that has been colored so brilliantly gets placed before you... Enjoy it. Savor it. Live in that victory for just a brief time in order to be recharged and reminded that you do have it in you.

Also from this past year... keep the good. From the awful gas prices we paid this year to the buckling economy... somewhere in the midst of all of that is our life. I say look back and pull out the good things that happened. The new jobs, the new friendships, the good people, the good places, the good things. Hold on to them. Let them propel you into the coming year.

Lastly as we revisit the past year... get rid of the bad. The failures, the disappointments, the hurt, the loneliness, the broken... leave it all in 08. Don't drag it all around. Bid farewell to the bad and run fast into the good.

So as we recover from the overindulging holidays, step out and make 2009 the best year you have ever had in ALL aspects of your life.

No comments: