Friday, August 15, 2008

Ever feel OLD?


If you are reading this then chances are... we are friends. News flash to all friends of Micah Andrews (We are getting OLD). Now let's keep it in perspective. For those of you a few years my senior you are probably offended. For those of you a few years my junior you probably agree. For those of you that are much older than me... you are laughing and thinking something like, "He has no idea." Granted you are all quite possibly correct. However, when Karie and I sat and watched 41 year old Dara Torres cruise in to a first place finish in the Women's 50 meter freestyle semi's it all came back to me.

You see, Dara is an incredible athlete but the swim just a few minutes prior to that really made me think. I forget the names (its a sign of aging) but some girl breaks the longest standing Olympic swimming record which has stood for 19 years. The previous record holder had that world record for 19 years. The race was the 800 meter women's freestyle... 16 lenght's of the pool, held by Janet "somebody" (no disrespect intended, just can't remember). The girl that breaks that long standing record was like 2 years old or something when Janet set the record. As Karie and I watched that together I said, "That Janet lady is only two years older than you." Boy was that stupid... here again, my judgement has also lapsed in my growing number of years.

Anyway, I guess old is all about perspective. All in all...my hats off to Dara Torres. She's a new mom and 41 and oddly enough, swimming for GOLD. About all I do these days is dig for a little gold!

So, tomorrow night Karie and I will be cheering on the talented and somewhat old Dara. Go USA!

1 comment:

renee9268 said...

Hey now, let's not discuss old....I'm staring down the big FOUR OHHHH in two weeks...

Question is....where did the other 39 go???