Friday, August 22, 2008

Lean On Me


As I sat in my office early this morning, I was serenaded down the hallway by 30 plus women who are alive in the arms of recovery. I just sat and listened as they sang the old favorite... "Lean On Me". I was frozen in my seat, I couldn't move, all I could do was sit and listen... it was so beautiful. The actual singing was good at moments and not so good at other moments. I actually hate the song... I got over-exposed to this song when DC Talk covered it... they way overplayed it on the jukebox at youth camp and I am forever scarred.

Anyway, the moment was so real and so sincere and so full of new life. It was weird... I was paralyzed in my thoughts. I wanted to think about other things and get to work but all I could do was sit there until they finished. Lean On Me... that's where we all need to be... leaning and dependant on Him. I was just reminded as I sat there that I have been a little too dependant on myself lately. Ever been there? The place where you just do it for yourself instead of waiting on Him. If you at all like me there are just things in life that you'd rather just do than delegate them to someone else because it is just easier to do them yourself. Well, maybe that's the way many of us also approach our Heavenly Father. It's more of a hassle for me to involve Him than it is to just do it myself.

O.K. If it's just me that ever feels like that then immediately stop reading this and start praying for me... that may mean I am completely heathen. Take a minute this week, get still, and hum the little tune to yourself... "Lean on me, when your not strong..."

2 comments:

BenJAMIN said...

yeah, feel that way every day.

Shannon Johnson said...

Love the post and how God is using you in your new job. I heard you just threw it down last night! :) I wish I could have heard you...but thanks to Chris recording it, I'll listen in my car sometime today.

Always good to see ya'll! Praying you sell the house soon.