Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Overwhelmed in 60 seconds

I wonder if I am so complex that I am so far different than other people? I mean I can turn on a dime and I just wonder if anyone else ever feels this way? Here's what I mean...

One minute things are great in life. Everything just seems to be moving along in the order that I prescribe and the sun is shining and all of a sudden... BAM. Something clicks and there I am... in an emotional and attitudinal shift. I can go from great to shotty in about 60 seconds. It's the unecessary pressure of life that gets me. The finances. I only know a few people that don't face the financial pressure of making ends meet each month (and if the truth be known most of them have financial pressures of their own). But what gives? I mean I've been to poverty stricken places... I know just how little you can survive on. And what's the deal with insurance? You pay these monthly premiums and never use the stuff. It's funny how you never need it and can complain about it but when something happens you sure are thankful that you have it. The relationships. Why do other people have to be complicated? Why can't every one else see things just like I do? That would make it so much easier on me and after all isn't it all about me? Personal walk with God. My favorite hymn says, "prone to wonder" and unfortunately that too often fits for me. I am so glad that He doesn't see me like I often see Him. I am especially thankful that He doesn't treat me the way I sometimes treat Him. In all things... God is good. The health. I still get hung up sometimes about why people get sick. Is it my fault if I get deathly ill? Is is a sin thing? Is it a combination of stuff? I just get frustrated when I hear about people dying with this disease or that disease. Addiction. I heard someone say this weekend, "Don't we all have an addictive personality?" In fact, that person was me. I know people addicted to work, sports, the almighty dollar, food, security, and a long list of other self-centered things. Why is it so hard to keep it simple? Baggage. I don't mean suitcases but the stuff that we carry around from our past. The pain, the hurt, the lonliness, the disappointment, the unfufilled dreams. Why can't it be as easy as just moving on? I hear stories almost daily of friends who just get stuck in their own pile of issues and my heart breaks for them.

I guess in my pity party this morning I am reminded that no matter how quickly I can go from great to terrible... there is someone else out there that has it far worse than I do. It's strange how I find that comforting. When I get overwhelmed in a moment I guess it is good medicine to be reminded that He said He would never allow us to face more than we were equipped to handle. I assume that's part of the spiritual maturity thing.

For a little bit of self-therapy today I say... "Don't grow weary. Be of good courage and strong when simply standing. God is beside us... all the way till the end."

1 comment:

Ron Lynn and Jenny said...

Micah....So I've totally been trying to find you on facebook or myspace or whatever and I found your blog so that's even better....I was going through some boxes in my apartment and I found all these cards you sent me while I was at Lee filled with encouragement ....I remember I always got them when I was having a a bad day and it was awesome just to know someone was thinking about me...they totally made me smile..thanks for always being so caringl! I hope you are doing awesome!