Wednesday, April 9, 2008

American Idol... Really?

It's sad... but it's true. My girls know that Tuesday night and Wednesday night are American Idol nights. Olivia knows them all and keeps me and Karie in tune with what's happening. We all have our favorites and who we hope will win it all. Over the past few seasons we have all come to know and expect what the judges will say...

Randy says "it was pitchy for me dog"
Paula says "we love you and I love you and you were true to yourself and that's all that matters."
And Simon says "dreadful... a complete mess"

And we love it, we are entertained by it, and we feel like we are actually a part of it all.

And then there was the Idol Gives Back Show that literally just went off a few minutes ago. This is my favorite night of the year because of all of the good that takes place. But as the closing number tonight I found it odd that the final contestants sang "Shout to the Lord". I hate to say this in the "public domain" for any and every one to read but... I'm one of those guys who does not like it normally when a Christian song such as we heard tonight is done in such a secular venue. It just makes me a bit uncomfortable. To me it is like Fergie singing "Amazing Grace" or Jessica Simpson singing "The B.I.B.L.E" or Britney Spears singing "I'll Fly Away" and on and on... it just doesn't fit for me. It comes across to me as a "token Jesus song".

It is in cases like these that I would love to have heard the discussion by the producers which actually chose this song for tonight. I would love to have been privy to the thought process. But either way, I can live with it or without it. Here's my biggest gripe of the whole entire thing... (if you didnt see it be glad)...

At the very end, after this climatic song (Shout to the Lord), the screen goes blank and in walks Ben Stiller. He has a brief dialogue where he proceeds to say... "Alright Seacrest... you are such a ___(f-bomb)___."

Point and case for the times we live in. Shout to the Lord and six bleeped out vulgar words that our own media sensors have deemed unspeakable on television.

American Idol... Really?

1 comment:

Distybug said...

I agree Micah...you KNOW they don't mean what their singing and you know they don't get it. It does come across as cheesy.

Kristi Blackwell (also known as
Distybug)