Monday, April 21, 2008

A Family Tradition...


There is a song by the legendary artist, Hank Williams Jr., that is simply titled... Family Traditions. That sums it up for me and my family when it comes to college football. We are just 137 days from the kickoff of ALABAMA football.

All of the naysayers remind me continually that Alabama fans live in the past... you want to know what I think... it's because we have a past. The tradition and rich heritage of college football in Tuscaloosa is paved with top-shelf athletes and victories that make even the best teams envious.

There is a feeling I get every fall when the weather begins to change simply because I know it means that me and my brother and my dad are on the precipice of one of our favorite family traditions. Whether we are at the game, huddled around a tube somewhere or even if we have to miss the game itself due to some crisis that pulls us away... we always find a way to merge our Crimson experience into a conversation. We've sat, or stood, in the student section for some of the greatest games of all times and watched as we held our breath during some of the most spectacular plays in football history unfolded right before our eyes. We've paid $100 for a ticket and we've even paid $2 for a ticket (that was for the AL vs. Georgia game back when I was in high school). We've even been known to work a concession stand or two just to be in the shrine built for the Bear.

There's nothing like spending time with family. It's my favorite thing to do. So when the time rolls aroiund each fall... on just about any given Saturday... you cn find the Andrews' men cheering faithfully for the Crimson Tide. But beware... if your sitting anywhere in our general area near the end of a Bama victory... don't be offended if you hear a loud rendition of Rammer Jammer.

Roll Tide Roll.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Micah...
You are awesome...
Like I said before, I so wish that I would have concerned myself with "important" stuff in high school...
I mean, I guess stuff I thought about was important then, but I just feel like as I have grown older, I have started to care more about the really important stuff...
Well, I mean, not always thinking about it, but thinking about it more...
Anyways...
I love you, man...
It is always good to hear from you...
We gotta keep this up...
That quote is semi-life-changing, by the way...

In Christ,
Brandon

Distybug said...

Amen, brother. I was in the band at Bama(and we got into the games free)so I bought the student tickets and then sold them for some extra cash!

Kristi Blackwell