Friday, April 25, 2008

Timing Is Everything...


First of all... this may get a little long so don't say that I didn't warn you. Sixty-one days ago, Karie and I jumped completely into the next chapter of our lives. Having no idea what the next chapter looked like or even where the story would take us we stepped out. All we held to was a promise... "if you trust Me... go."

Today, April 25, 2008 that next chapter began. I accepted the position of Director of Volunteer Services at The Foundry. Trust me, I'll tell you much more about The Foundry in days to come but check it out for yourself at www.thefoundryonline.org

But the journey has been amazing. I have met so many amazing people. My great friend Barry Copeland never ceases to amaze me at how many people he knows and how vast his knowledge is. Barry is a coach, a friend, a voice of stability... and I am forever grateful to Barry and Kathy for their unfailing friendship to my family.

The last two months and one day have been a rollercoaster to say the least. There have been days of solidarity and standing firm on God's promises for my family and there have been days that I have felt completely alone in this thing. There have been days of obedience as well as moments and days of disobedience. I have grown so much in such a short period of time. I have found through talking with several others that my two month journey is relatively short for people changing careers. I actually got to share with a incredibly talented young woman this weekend about our journey and she is on a very similar journey going on eight months now. I guess God knows how long to let us go before He steps in.

I have been reminded that He is so concerned with all of the details of my life. I, at times, have been so close to the trees that I couldn't see the beauty of the forest. I am realizing once again that He is more concerned about us simply walking with Him than He is about all of the big and wonderful things we can do and accomplish in His name. He just wants us to be with Him and try to get to know Him. It really is that simple... yet I have the unique ability to always try to complicate God.

I have struggled with the song "Friend of God" over the last few years because to me it implies that He is ordinary. That song removes some of the mystique and majesty and reverence of the Almighty. I mentally struggle with the fact that He wants to know me in an intimate and friendly way as opposed to a mighty and overbearing kind of way. I guess that's my spiritual baggage. I've fallen guilty of thinking that He is a watchdog watching my every move and even disappointed in me when I fail. I've been guilty of seeing the Creator of heaven and earth with a domineering aspect attached to Him. When in reality He leaves a lot more of this life up to me than I ever imagined. That's not to discount the fact that He is supreme and all of that but more simply to say that He is control of everything and allows me a lot of leeway in how I get to the places He has ordered for me. I guess I really am a friend of God... He literally knows my name.

For my new chapter in life... I could not have laid it out any better or more fitting for myself than He has with the Foundry. I am full of excitement that I have been given this opportunity to use what He has given me for the things that He has set in motion.

For all of you have been full of encouragement and concern for me and Karie... thanks. For all of you who have prayed for us every day... thanks. For all of you who have just been our friends... thanks. I owe you. I love you. I thank God for you. I'll keep you posted on things as they unfold. I start my new job next Thursday, May 1. Karie is thrilled as well and maybe in part because I will no longer be tearing our home apart in one of my many "projects" since I've had all of this time on my hands.

You know who you are... THANKS.

3 comments:

Chris Goins said...

Congratulations! We love you and thank God for His incredible faithfulness to you, Karie and the kids. Keep the faith. We look forward to seeing all that God does in and through you.

Ben Birdsong said...

I am encouraged to see how God is using you to impact countless lives in Jesus' name. Keep trusting and seeking after Him!

Shannon Johnson said...

Wow Micah!!! That is awesome. kevin got the text message over the weekend and we were so excited! We've been praying for you and are excited to see what God will do with you at The Foundry!