Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I Go Back... the formative years.

Isn't it funny how a song can take you somewhere? I mean just the first few bars of the opening theme to Rocky and I'm ready to hit the ring. And my all-time favorite anthem... there's just something special about the first four notes to Sweet Home Alabama... it just does something to me (it appeals to my "rough side"). The same can be said of two country songs... "I Go Back" by Kenny Chesney and "19 Something" by Mark Willis. Everytime I hear those two songs my mind drifts away in a cathartic trance to a simplistic way of living. I just decided to put a few of those "glory days" thoughts out here to see if anybody could relate.

Favorite Songs of my Early Years -
"Say, Say, Say" - Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson, "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns & Roses, "Angel in the Centerfold" - J. Geils Band (and back then I had no idea what that was about), "R.O.C.K. in the USA" - the Boss, "Pink Houses" - John Cougar Mellencamp, "Sister Christian" - Night Ranger, "99 luft balloons" - Nena, "Red, Red, Wine" - UB40, "Straight Up" - Paula Abdul, "Girl You Know It's True" - Milli Vanilli, "Wild Thing" - Tone Loc, and absolutely anything by the following: Warrant, Great White, Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue, Cinderella, Winger, White Lion, Skid Row, Def Leppard, Firehouse, and Tesla.

With the musical influence that these bands and individuals had on me it is truly amazing that I didn't keep my stylish mullet.

Favorite TV Shows of my Early Years -
Hands down number 1 is "Dukes of Hazzard" (the show, not the movie... I refused to see the knock-off movie version), "The A Team", "Miami Vice", "Friday Night Videos", "Night Trax", "Family Ties", "Riptide", "Simon & Simon", "Magnum P.I.", "Night Court", & "Cheers".

Favorite Movies of my Early Years -
"Young Guns I & II", "Footloose", "Platoon", "Coming to America", all of the "Indiana Jones", "Karate Kid", and "Police Academy" movies & "The Blues Brothers".

Just remember... in an odd sort of way, these are the things that molded and fashioned a generation into what we are today. Maybe that explains it all. Hope this was a pleasant stroll for you as well.

1 comment:

BenJAMIN said...

Micah, I read your comment on my blog, and I thought it would be appropriate to respond here. I've been thinking a great deal about the issue of identity and selflessness and such, and what I think is that there is a sort of half truth in the word selfless. I agree that half the world's problems would be solved if we became selfless people, but I'm not sure most of us have really grappled with what that means. There is a sense in which forgetting about self is actually finding self, in the same way that losing one's self in Christ is actually finding self. I have found that all through the Bible there is a narrative of identity that run's through it. It is when Leah finally gives up trying to define herself in earthly terms (as a mother, as a loved wife, as a loved daughter) that she finally finds satisfaction...she names her son Judah to prove it. She lays down self to find God and in the process finds out who she really is, God's child. I think this points to Jesus and is at the heart of the gospel, a redefinition of self on Jesus' terms. I think that the fabric of the human heart yearns for significance and identity, and it is only in Jesus that we find it. When I find satisfaction and joy and happiness in Jesus, Jesus gets the glory, not me. In fact, I think his His glory and our satisfaction are wrapped up together. The search for identity ends with Jesus, not self...and yet for the first time, we discover that we've actually found ourselves.