Tuesday, April 22, 2008

LIFE Interrupted


Have you ever wondered what people were thinking about just before they died? I know it almost sounds somewhat morbid but I have had thoughts like these many times. Recently when Heath Ledger passed away my mind drifted to a series of thoughts such as... "I wonder what he had planned to do on the following day? Who had he put off calling back because it could wait till tomorrow? Who was the last person he talked to that final night?"

Not only in death but it also occurs to me just about every time I see an automobile accident. Simply because I know that when something like even the mildest fender-bender occurs it can quickly interrupt your previously scheduled events for that day and maybe days to follow. There truly is no convenient time to have a wreck. Well, all of this came flying back to mind just after 12 noon this very day.

I had been down in Bessemer and had just got back into my truck and pulled out onto Hwy. 150. There was little traffic other than a motorcycle police officer in front of me and a red van headed in our direction which proceeded to the turn lane to turn in front of us. I was about 30 yards behind the officer when to my shock, the van turned rather slowly in front of the officer. He hit his brakes and then released them. It appeared that the van had seen him at the last moment and almost stopped but in a flash the van kept coming and hit the officer on the bike. Remember... all of this is right in front of me. I watch as the officer's bike is hurled around and around and the officer himself literally goes flying through the air. I watch in seemingly slow motion as his feet flip over his head and he is launched nearly 30 yards before he lands in a parking lot. I stop immediately and am the first to reach the officer. It was so surreal. I really didn't even realize that anyone else was around. As I stooped down to check on him he was bleeding from his lip, his leg was tucked in behind him, and his right arm was somewhat twisted up over his head.

I had no idea what to say. As I was approaching him I had my phone and a lady shouted at me that she was on the phone with 911. I looked him in the eye and simply asked him his name... he replied Mike. I told him I was Micah and all I could think of was to tell him to be still and not move and that his buddies would be here in just a minute. Boy did I underestimate that time frame. Literally within 90 seconds the first officer arrived only to be followed by about 15 more in the next 2 minutes. Mike and I talked a little more and as the paramedics arrived I stepped back and had that same crazy thought again...

"I wonder who he had just talked to on the phone? Where was he going and was someone waiting on him? I bet he had no idea something like this would happen when he left the house this morning."

It all hit home for me today out on 150. Life can be short. Live it with everything you got!

By the way, Mike is listed in serious condition according to the Bham News. It looked like to me he had an injury to his foot, his shoulder, his arm and his face was busted and bleeding. I think he spit some blood on my brown Sunday shoes... it'll wash off. And here is the craziest part of it all. There were two clowns driving the van. Seriously... they were going to a party or something, dressed as clowns and WHAMO!