Sunday, April 6, 2008

Fishing on the Sabbath


Today I had one of the most fulfilling dates I have had in a long time. While my wife was at home on the couch... I snuck away for a great time with two other women. These two ladies have my heart in a way that no one does... Olivia & Ella are more of momma's girls than they are daddy's girls but there is just that God breathed connection between a daddy and his daughters.

We went to the final weigh in down at the Civic Center for the FLW fishing tournament. The girls fished on simulated lakes, we rode a sweet fishing boat simulator and they played and had a blast. The funniest part to me is that they have professional anglers everywhere signing baseball cards... but they are fishing people cards. They sign them and people collect them and everything. Next to my recent Nascar induction this ranks up there pretty high on my "You might be a RedNeck" list.

And here is the best part. In the world that we live in I have come to realize that celebrity status allows you a crossover into almost any genre of event. Would you believe that at the center of the FLW Outdoors marketing ploy is the old familiar face of none other than Hulk Hogan. His picture is everywhere and I couldn't help but laugh that Olivia and Ella had no idea who this guy is. Once I told Olivia who he was she kept calling him Honk Hogan... that made me laugh out loud.

Here's my recommendation to all of the fathers in the world... do something rediculous with your children every chance you get. No matter what you do or where it is... you get the rewards much more than they do.

Daddy time ROCKS!

1 comment:

Melodie Goalen said...

Hey,
Just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blogs. From the thougth provoking ones to the ones that make me smile (Fishing on the Sabbath), I know you are a true man of God. Remember that He loves you and has a plan for you!